Global Affairs Canada recently released the Key Performance Indicators for Canada’s Feminist International Assistance Policy which seeks to reduce extreme poverty and build a more peaceful, inclusive and prosperous world. The Policy recognizes that promoting gender equality and empowering women and girls is the most effective approach to achieving this goal.
The Policy contains the following six Action Areas:
- Gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls; which is the core Action Area. Gender equality can be advanced throughout our work by integrating this analysis across the other areas of action.
- Human dignity, which includes health and nutrition, education and humanitarian action;
- Growth that works for everyone, which targets areas such as sustainable agriculture, green technologies and renewable energy;
- Environment and climate action focusing on adaptation and mitigation, as well as on water management;
- Inclusive governance, including democracy, human rights and the rule of law; and
- Peace and security, by promoting inclusive peace processes and combatting gender-based violence.
The Policy also commits to improving evidence-based decision making by investing in better data collection and evaluation for gender equality. This can be achieved in part by developing stronger and more meaningful performance indicators to track the performance of Canada’s international assistance programming.
To meet this commitment Global Affairs Canada developed a suite of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to track and monitor progress achieved in the six Action Areas of the Feminist International Assistance Policy. A set of complementary indicators have also been identified to track global gender equality trends, Canada’s gender equality advocacy efforts and progress on gender equality within the Department.