Partnerships & Health Systems Strengthening in Haiti
Congratulations to the PROSAMI “Dream Team”!
The LÉGER FOUNDATION generously welcomed CanWaCH to Léogâne for a tour of their PROSAMI Project. CanWaCH congratulates this field team, composed of five members, who are doing incredible work every day for the communities of Léogâne and Gressier in close collaboration with the Haitian Ministry of Public Health and Population (MSPP) in the Western Department of Haiti.
PROSAMI team (left to right): Willy Georges (Accounting Administrator), Santia Chancy (Governance and Monitoring-Evaluation Advisor), Miriame Augustin (Councilor in Support of Communities), Michel Carroll (Project Manager), Patrick Dimanche (Institutional Support Advisor).
The PROSAMI project supports the Ministry of Public Health and Population (MSPP) institutions in strengthening the health system of the Léogâne and Gressier communities by:
- strengthening the capacity of the Communal Health Unit of the MSPP to play its role effectively in coordinating and developing the health of mothers, newborns and children;
- supporting three health institutions offering basic obstetric and neonatal services;
- developing the Maternal and Child Centre in Léogâne towards the provision of comprehensive emergency obstetric and neonatal services;
- supporting five community health centres and the establishment of a network of 42 community health workers to improve access to maternal, newborn and child preventative health services. For more information, visit their Project page.
As part of the Lead On Canada Campaign, check out their project video.
Exemplary Collaboration with Canadian Organizations
The LÉGER FOUNDATION ingeniously drew on the expertise of other Canadian partners. They have benefited from partnering with CCISD who has valuable experiences with their long-term PRISMA project in Haiti. In addition, Plan International Canada’s SHOW project has been approached for a cross-learning opportunity to share their expertise in Haiti engaging men’s clubs. Finally, CECI has been entrusted with the project management for the construction of an operating unit that will provide comprehensive emergency obstetric and neonatal services in the coming months.
- Frédérique Thomas and Jaime Del Carpio at LÉGER FOUNDATION (Canada).
Gender Equality is Embedded in all Project Activities
The project supports women’s groups in training, outreach activities and to take action on gender-based violence with multi-sector partners. With the LÉGER FOUNDATION team’s support, women’s groups networks increased from 6 to 10 in one year, with some groups having over 80 members!
The team has designed an evaluation system of 44 key indicators, including gender-sensitive indicators such as the level of satisfaction among women regarding how they are welcomed in the health facility, its quality and hygiene, and the respecting of women’s rights in the targeted health institutions; and the number of women/men who received reproductive health training.
Indicator collection at the maternity clinic in Léogâne
A Strengthened Health Care System
- Accompaniment and support offered to a total of 103 people working in health institutions and at the community level.
- The LÉGER FOUNDATION implements training in close collaboration with INHSAC (Haitian Community Health Institute), a Haitian NGO specialized in training that is recognized by the Ministry of Health. Twelve catered training themes were delivered to targeted groups on gender-based violence, family planning, neonatal emergency care and more.
- The PROSAMI supports the decentralized team of the ANACAONA Communal Health Unit to directly manage the health information system (the DHIS2), of the two communities in collaboration with the Western Health Directorate. This system integrates the sex-specific and environmental data of the two municipalities, with a data completion rate increase from 60% to 100%.
- An analysis of the different functions of the Community Health Centre shows that the range of reinforcement and support activities implemented by the project contributed to a significant increase in the performance of the Community Health Centre from 38% to 75%.
- Global Affairs Canada has released its International Assistance Results Reporting Guide for Partners (2018), and the Methodological Notes to accompany the 16 recently launched SRHR Key Performance Indicators. Have a read through on ways this can inform your programming and decisions!
- Identify how best to monitor different Social Behaviour Change interventions with this two-hour free course.
- Check out the Family Planning 101 free two-hour course highlighting key tools to facilitate service delivery, client counselling and provider training.
- The United Nations Office on Drugs & Crime has released its latest report analyzing global homicide, and gender-based violence on women and girls.
- Join MEASURE Evaluation February 14, 2019, at 9 am EST for a webinar on lessons learned during the implementation of digital health information systems.