Launching our Immunizations Campaign: #VaccinesWork
Immunizations are proven to be one of the most impactful and cost effective public health measures. For every dollar invested in vaccines, there is an expected benefit of around USD $16 for national economies. The next year holds incredible opportunities for impact in immunization as both the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) and Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance will be looking to Canada for financial support. Over the last 20 years both of these organizations have been on the front lines of the fight against vaccine-preventable diseases, ultimately saving the lives of millions of children.
Polio is a disease that can frequently lead to permanent paralysis and sometimes death. With no cure, the only way to prevent polio is with a vaccine. Until polio is eradicated, all children are at risk. Thanks to GPEI, the number of polio cases around the world has dropped from approximately 350,000 a year in 1988 to 33 cases in 2018. This year we’re asking Canada to pledge CAD $215 million to GPEI in order to help eradicate polio once and for all.
As a vaccine provider to the world’s poorest countries, Gavi has vaccinated 690 million children since 2000. It’s estimated that up to 3 million lives are saved every year because of these increases in immunizations. Over the next 5 years, Gavi will continue to do this imperative work, providing 18 different kinds of vaccines to over 300 million children.
- Watch these two stories that highlight the importance of immunizations:
- Watch how Côte d’Ivoire is rebuilding its health system after years of conflict with Gavi’s support.
- Watch a polio survivor who became a vaccination advocate in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
- With a newly elected government, it’s time to create or renew a strong relationship with your Member of Parliament (MP). Talking about immunization is a great entry point to talking about the importance of Canadian aid.
- As this is a multi-month campaign, we must start off with a strong foundation. We will be working towards a pledge from Canada to GPEI as one of the first asks. We will then work towards a Gavi pledge during the replenishment conference being hosted by the UK in June 2020.
- Canada has historically been a leader in the global fight against vaccine preventable diseases. We expect the Government of Canada to make strong commitments to both these global initiatives. We would like to see a CAD $215 million commitment by Canada to GPEI. We hope to have a Canadian financial ask for Gavi soon.
Recent Volunteer Activity
Canadians care about investing in a world without extreme poverty. Recent actions of committed citizens included: in-person engagement, letters to the editor, published social media postsand many emails and letters!
 Ozawa S, Clark S, Portnoy A, Grewal S, Brenzel L, Walker D.G. Return on investment from childhood immunization in low- and middle-income countries, 2011-20. Health Affairs. 2016 Feb;35(2): 199–207