Do you want to make a difference?
Join the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Canadian Red Cross Society (CRCS) is a not for profit, humanitarian organization dedicated to helping Canadians, as well as the most vulnerable throughout the world.
The Canadian Red Cross – International Operations is seeking experienced Obstetrician/Gynecology (OB/GYN) professionals to join our Emergency Response Unit (ERU) delegate register! When you apply to this selection process, you are not applying for a specific job, rather you are applying for a position on the ERU register, to be called upon for future emergency deployments, as and when the need for your professional skillset is required. As opportunities become available, applicants who meet the qualifications may be contacted for further assessment.
Background: An ERU is composed of trained personnel (whom we call delegates) and state-of-the-art equipment ready to deploy at short notice nationally or internationally, to some of the most remote regions of the world, providing medical and healthcare aid to anyone affected by disasters and emergencies. ERUs may augment, or temporarily replace damaged or inaccessible local infrastructure with logistical, communication, administrative, clean water and sanitation support
This opportunity means that if your selected to be part of the ERU (OB/GYN) register, your application will be reviewed on a rolling-basis, and should you meet the role qualifications, we will contact you accordingly once there is a direct requirement for your profile and start you on the path of deploying with us as a delegate!
To deploy with us on national or international missions as an ERU (OB/GYN) delegate, you must have:
- Professional license/certification, membership and in good standing
- Medical degree (M.D.) specializing in Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Minimum 3 years professional clinical experience
- Comfortable providing and managing reproductive maternal newborn health and emergency obstetric care in a low-resource environment
- Able to work independently and consult colleagues/refer patients as needed
- Comfortable with performing emergency caesarian sections
- Previous international experience in a humanitarian-related context
- Fluency in English
- Availability to deploy on short notice-48-72 hours and on unaccompanied missions of 4-6 weeks
- Excellent physical & mental health with the ability to complete and maintain a thorough medical screening and receive medical clearance prior to departure in the field
- Completion of mandatory online courses and in-person training as required upon selection and onboarding
- Successful completion of Vulnerable Sector criminal record and professional reference checks.
You will stand out if you have:
- Fluency in additional languages (French, Spanish, Arabic & Mandarin are MAJOR assets)
- Experience working in an emergency context
- Experience living/working in hardship and/or low-resource environments
- International driving license OR experience driving standard transmission
- First Aid/CPR certification
- Previous experience working/volunteering with the Red Cross or Red Crescent Movement
- Further qualifications (education, training, exposure) in Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Skills in training, facilitation, coaching and development of staff and volunteers
What we offer our delegates:
- Competitive pay and benefits package
- Travel, accommodation, medical & insurance coverage when deploying
- Pre-deployment and recurring training programs and professional development events in Canada and abroad
- And much more! See the list here: http://www.redcross.ca/about-us/jobs/before-you-apply/benefits